Flageolet, Feta and Arugula Salad
It was time for beans – yes beans once again. Part duty, part pleasure, my healthy eating regimen prods me at least once a week to peer into my pantry, choose a bean, and make something healthy out of it.
“What in the heck are flageolets?”
This time, I peaked in and found a bag of flageolets, stamped with the reassuring label from the bulk bin section at Whole Foods. “What in the heck are flageolets?” I wondered, having no memory of why I bought them. A quick Internet search revealed that they are a type of white bean, prized by the French in a manner similar to the reverence held for Le Puy lentils. Sounds goods, I thought, and then immediately recalled the baby arugula in my fridge and how those two could pair together in my attempt to duplicate the wonderful arugula and white bean salad they sell at the Sopraffina Marketcafe in Chicago as part of their lunchtime antipasto trio selection.
Sopraffina Marketcafe’s Killer Dish
Flavor memories of the dish flooded my mind –the zing of the lemon, crunch and herbaceous notes from the celery, and the salty tang from the occasional fleck of feta. With these thoughts in mind I cooked the beans, set them aside and later quickly tossed a bean salad that come out even better than my memory of that famed Soprafinna version.
Here’s my take on a Flageolet, Feta and Arugula Salad
You can substitute Cannellini or Great Northern or any other white beans for the Flageolets.
- Flageolet Beans, 1.5 cup cooked (1/2 cup dried)
- Lemon zest, minced, 1 tsp.
- Lemon juice, 2 T
- Red pepper flakes, pinch, to taste
- EVOO, 2 T
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Red onion, finely diced, ¼ cup
- Celery, finely diced, ¼ cup
- Celery leaves, chopped, 2 T
- Arugula, small handful, about ½ cup, loosely packed
- Feta, 1 T, small dice
- Cook the beans, use some from a can
- When beans are cool, add to a bowl and toss with lemon zest, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, extra-virgin olive oil, red onion, celery and celery leaves
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Right before serving, add arugula and toss until it wilts slightly
- Toss with feta and serve